Thursday, October 14, 2010

YOU Benefit from Govt. Spending

Minions, my last post painted me in a way I refuse to be viewed. The devils advocate in me compels me to see and give an alternative view - as there are merits on either side.

The problem with cutting spending is that we all benefit from it.

I challenge you to tell me that you don't enjoy:
  • these nice paved roads. Then you complain when there is a pot-hole: "That’s what you get with government spending!"
  • public education system. Someone has to get those brats out of your hair.
  • firefighters. They weren't originally government jobs, they were paid by the insurer of the burning house. No fire insurance? They would just pass on by your burning house.
  • police. Despite those dang speeding tickets.
  • public detention centers (prisons). You have to do something with those who wish to take away your unalienable rights (looks funny spelled out).
  • public libraries. The wife My beautiful and amazing wife and I have recently taken advantage of this resource.
  • public parks. I hear Central Park is nice...
  • the natural beauty of national & state parks. We should all thank John Muir for his activism toward the "nationalization" of America's beauty.
  • museums. I hear things get interesting at night...

A few of my favorite touchy ones:
  • national security. At least I don't fear a missile attack leaving my house.
  • Medicare. Old people pop some expensive pills.
  • Medicaid. Say what you will, but if you are down on your luck you would be thankful.
  • Social Security. Well I certainly wouldn't want them breaking a hip while mowing my lawn.
I'm sure there are plenty more.

Yahoo News spells out the real problem: Everyone hates the deficit - but likes the spending. My favorite quote: "Cut spending, but not if it takes money from what's nearest and dearest to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment