Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bah! Humbug!

Minions, do you think I am a Scrooge? Am I a grumpy person during the holidays? If you ask my wife her response is a resounding "YES!"

I suppose I can't blame her, I do have a number of qualities that stack against me.
  1. I am generally a very temperate person, staying pretty even keel regardless of the season. Juxtaposed my wife, I can see her point. She lights up during the holidays. She can't stop thinking of how wonderful our apartment will look with all the new Christmas decorations or what deliciously amazing holiday foods she could make. Don't get me wrong, I love how creative my wife is and I love to see her excited - just don't expect me to be bouncing off the walls.
  2. As a general rule, I do not like Christmas music. Every year some one-hit wonder says "You know what? White Christmas is in need of my voice." No, no it is not. Not only is your imitation regurgitated and unoriginal crap but it has forever sullied the original. There are few exceptions to this rule.
  3. I really do hate Christmas music. Perhaps I am just restating #2, but does it really need to be played for over a month? Really? Why would I want to dedicate 1/12th of my yearly music listening time to "artists" who I wouldn't have listened to during the other 11 months?
When pressed, my wife confesses that it is my disdain towards the music of the season. In my defense I do enjoy a few Christmas songs. The problem: If I took the time to categorize and determine my ultimate Christmas playlist it wouldn't be much of a playlist - and referring back to #3, I would grow tired of it by the end of the day (let alone a full month).

Postscript: I do appreciate the reason for the season and am thankful for the true gift we commemorate every year. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment