Thursday, December 9, 2010

"The Pepé"

Hello, Minions. Earlier this week my wife Karen and I were hard at work on a fun little short film project. It is titled The Adventures of "The Pepé". It is actually stop-motion movie we pieced together for kicks and giggles. I hope you check it out. (more below the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00pBOTCh_o

This project got me thinking about the brave new world of consumer engagement in advertising. Most forms of advertising is one sided (the TV yelling at you to buy their products). More and more companies encouraging their customers to be engaged and to spread their message for them. I believe what my friends tell me far more than a clever commercial (as witty as it may be).

How easily would it have been if Charmin (the maker of the best toilet paper known to man: Charmin Ultra with Aloe) posted a competition for the highest voted video that focuses on one of their products? The winner would win X (perhaps money, camera equipment, free TP, whatever).
At the very least it would have had the following characteristics:
- Cheap: Charmin doesn't have to do spend millions of dollars. And the prize can be relatively modest.
- Spreadable: People are going to be so proud of the work they did that they will post it everywhere to get votes.
- Increases the bottom line: They'll make money. People will need to buy the product to film it - consider it paid sampling.

What I am saying is this: Charmin, you can make your check payable to: Jason Marrott.

1 comment: